Thursday, January 28, 2010

Small world. Small man. Small pill.

So last night we went to Grappa’s Cellar to see Andrew Bird. He is the tiniest white man I’ve seen in a long time, but he was brilliant. I’ll post a snippet of the show once I figure out how to get it from Kelly’s iphone to here.

While we were waiting for the show to start, a lithe (emaciated) and handsome (he clearly uses boy-cosmetics) and trendy (his hair was a bit too long) young man (actually, this could describe any of the gweilos in our area) said, “you look familiar…” Apparently he was on the hell-flight with us from Newark to HK after Christmas, also got bumped, and also had his luggage “misplaced.” Additionally, he went to college about 10 miles from where we did. It’s a small, small world. Perhaps there are far too few ex-pats in HK. Or perhaps I’m running in the wrong circles. After six months here I shouldn’t be recognizing people everywhere I go…

This morning I realized I was out of my blood pressure medication. This is ostensibly prescription-only, but I’ve found that that rule gets bent quite easily. For example, the last time I went to the pharmacy to try to buy my birth control pills I mispronounced it and they tried to give me generic Prozac instead. So instead of making an appointment with my doctor, I went to the pharmacy and, sure enough, got my bp medicine OTC. This is convenient, but kind of annoying because the things that I really want – some DAMN DECONGESTANTS – are not OTC. So I’m just eating peppers and blowing my nose a lot, but at least I’m not going to have a heart attack.


No comments:

Post a Comment