Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Leaving Hong Kong

Sad, but true - in around three months we'll be leaving Hong Kong and headed back to America.  These four years have flown by and I wish I could stay another four, but opportunities knock at inconvenient moments and it's time to begin a new adventure.

But I'm happy to say that I've done a lot with those four years.  I've seen lion dances, bartered for counterfeit goods, eaten durian (and pork throat!), traveled the mainland, holidayed in Bangkok, ridden a camel in the Gobi Desert, wandered around Kazakhstan, learned a bit of Canto, sailed a racing yacht around Victoria Harbour, hiked and swam and walked and danced and sweated and eaten and played cards and gotten drunk and made awesome friends.  I plan to do much more in the next three months.  So thank you, Hong Kong.

This isn't the end of this blog.  It won't end until we step on that plane for our last 15-hour flight home.  Our last substandard meal, malfunctioning in-flight entertainment, and handfuls of tiny wine bottles.  And who knows - perhaps I'll continue by examining the oddities of the American South (just what are chitterlings, anyway?).  

So many more posts are coming in the next few months - I'm sure the intricacies of moving a household halfway across the world will present a whole new set of challenges and disasters.  Thanks everyone for reading so far.

For now, I sign off with this - Thousand Island Baked Potato flavor chips.  With a hamburger on the bag.  Of course.



2 comments:

  1. Here's a great parting gift for your husband. http://www.amazon.com/Haven-Comprehensive-Guide-Vegetarian-Restaurants/dp/B00AWLBR54. It's available at the OK convenience stores in Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - we could pretty much write that book now. I think we've done a great job of rooting out veggie options here. Wish we'd had it four years ago!

    ReplyDelete