Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How to buy lunch

The bakeries in Hong Kong are primarily self-service.  You go in, grab a tray and some tongs, pick what you want, then take it to the register.  This is what just happened to me:

Me:  picks up quiche, misses tray, drops quiche on floor.

Bakery attendant, appearing out of nowhere:  You drop you pay!  You drop you pay!

Me:  Okay, that's fine.  Can you just -

Bakery lady:  You drop you pay!

Me:  Okay.  Okay.  Can you just ring me up for -

Bakery lady:  Pay!

Me, trying to pay:  Okay.

Bakery lady, attempting to shove dirty floor quiche into the bag with my other purchases:  You have dog!  You give dog! 

Me:   ...  NO!

Bakery lady, still rubbing dirty quiche all over my nice clean scones:  You take!  You have dog!

Me:  No!  I don't have dog!  

Bakery lady:  Dog!

Me:  No!

Bakery lady:  You drop you pay!

It went on for this for about five full minutes.  I'm not quite sure how I got out of there or what I paid for, but I got home with some relatively clean scones so I guess it turned out well.


No comments:

Post a Comment