Friday, April 2, 2010

The Sevens. And Jesus.

Last weekend was the Sevens - a two-day rugby tournament held each year in Hong Kong. This is one of the biggest social events of the year, and is characterized by thousands of white people who dress in costumes which are inevitably too hot, drink gallons of beer, and end up somewhere along the drunk-stupefied-insensate-comatose continuum. I'm sure many things are lost at this event - wallets, cell phones, lunches, dignity - but I especially like this notice that appeared in the newspaper yesterday:


Somewhere in Hong Kong, probably behind a rubbish bin or in a back alley, is a hungover white guy wearing a monkey head. God, I hope I find him first.

And to my Christian friends - happy Good Friday, which in Cantonese translates as the "Jesus Experiences Difficulties Festival." The Chinese are masters of the understatement.


No comments:

Post a Comment